Friday, December 12, 2008

Wedding Eve

So, right now I am in the secretary's office at the church where Bailey and Matt are getting married waiting for copies of the program to print. I cannot believe that 2 of my best friends in the world are getting married tomorrow afternoon. I couldn't make it through the rehearsal without welling up. I am a baby, but in a good way.

I have known Bailey going on four years now and yet, it feels like forever. I haven't seen her in 2 months but it seems as though a day has passed; we just pick right back up where we left off. I feel so much joy for her right now, with a small amount of jealousy working its way in. I have watched her relationship with Matt grow from a friendship to a dating relationship to further develop into an engagement and now it has evolved into a marriage. I am beginning to understand those "stupid" songs that make grown ups cry; songs like "Butterfly Kisses" and "She's Somebody's Hero". Those songs embody the emotions running through me at the moment. I know I'm not Bailey's parents and my emotions are nothing like theirs, or those of any parent who gives their child away at weddings, but she is my sister and I have a whole different kind of giving her away along with the emotions that go hand in hand with letting her go.

We have been each other's to take care of for the four years of college and the six months after graduation. I feel a kind of melancholy over the fact that she will no longer be mine to take care of. We will still be there for each other, forever and for always, but now, she's Matt's. And I cannot think of anyone better to give my best friend to. I know he'll take care of her forever. I hope that I find the same joy that they have found in each other and I pray that I find it soon. But at the moment, all my focus is on my best friends and the happiness they radiate to the world this weekend.

3 comments:

Mom said...

A good friend is one of God's greatest blessings. You are a lucky girl. Give Bailey and Matt a big hug from me.
Your wonderful guy will come in God's good time. No need to worry about that.

AM Kingsfield said...

My friends were there for me before my marriage, during, and after. Marriage changes your friendships, but it is just an evolution, not a goodbye. You and Bailey are lucky to have each other. Bailey & Matt are lucky to have have each other. Enjoy the fun weekend!

Magenta said...

And you were the best Maid of Honor any bride could have dreamed for (except maybe that AM Kingsfield 24.5 years ago!!!)

Bailey and Matt are blessed to have you in their lives.

Your prince charming is out there, we have been praying for him for years ... just you wait and see!